Sunday, May 26, 2013

Globalization and the Michigan working class

At the present time I am researching the economic effects of globalization on the working class in the state of Michigan.  In order to collect the data that is relevant to the research, I have to and have had to define, select and determine differing characteristics of what globalization is, when did it begin, what is the working class, how do you measure globalization and what are the variables that need to be considered to measure its effects?   Once I answered these questions I started collecting secondary data to do a quantitative analysis of how the working class have been effected since the 1980s.  Since it is a longitudinal study, collecting secondary data is the only feasible way to conduct the research that I am doing.  The heterogeneousness of what globalization and its effects are has escalated my curiosity of globalization and its effects on people to a passion to expand the research in the future to the national and international levels.
My curiosity of globalization stems from growing up in a working class home and being a part of the working class for many years before continuing my education later in life.  It was blamed for the loss of jobs, the decrease of benefits and raises.  It was spoke of in a derogatory way in many of the places where I worked and within the social group that I associated with.  Upon going back to school though it was not always talked about in such a negative way, there were theories that supported it and it was seen as something that was a part of progress and inevitable by some.  Out of this diverse view, I came up with a my research question, How does globalization economically effect the working class?
 Since most of the discussions that I encountered  while was working in the factories and other job sites consisted of economic effects, this would be the most appropriate place to begin my research.  Looking at the economic effects is beneficial for a few reasons.  One is that there is an abundant amount of economic data that one can find within the government data.  Another is that much economic data has been compiled over many years, which supports my longitudinal research.  It will also allow me to see if globalization has caused the loss of jobs and reduction in pay.  This research will look to find out if the economic perceptions of the working class are supported by quantitative analysis.
No matter what the results of this research are, I believe that there are many other research opportunities that can branch off from it.  One is to do a qualitative research on the perceptions that people have on the globalization.  In doing this, a researcher may be able to see if there is a difference between the social classes and there perceptions on the phenomenon.  There can also be a research done on the differing political systems and which ones are more supportive of economic globalization.  There are numerous ways in which one can research such a phenomenon as globalization and I believe that it is just begun and will only continue to grow in the future.  My curiosity has become my passion and I have a desire to keep digging deeper and deeper into this world wide phenomenon that is here to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment